Patron Behavior Policy
The following activities are not allowed in the library:
- Smoking (Massachusetts General Laws [MGL, Ch. 270, Sec. 21-22]
- Creating a disturbance by making noise, talking loudly, or engaging in other disruptive behavior [MGL, Ch 272, Sec. 41]
- Interfering with another person's right to use the library or with the library staff's performance of their duties.
- Threatening behavior, including, but not limited to-violence, threats of violence and possession of weapons.
- Bringing animals into the library except those needed to assist a disabled person
- Playing audio equipment so that others can hear it
- Misusing the restrooms (i.e. using them as a laundry or washing facility)
- Soliciting or canvassing of any kind
- Entering areas posted "Staff Only" without permission
- Leaving a child under the age of ten unattended by someone at least fourteen years old.
- Wearing rollerblades, roller shoes, or rollerskates, or using skate boards inside the library.
- Persons without shoes or improperly attired will not be allowed in the library
- Food and/or beverages are not allowed in the library, except at designated times or in designated rooms.
- Those who damage or deface library materials or property will be prosecuted [MGL, Ch 266, Sec. 100].
- Theft of library materials, use of false identification to obtain a library card, or use of another person's library card without his/her permission are against state law and will be prosecuted [MGL, Ch. 266, Sec. 99].
- Parents are responsible for the behavior and supervision of their children adn may be liable for any damage caused by their children.
- Patrons may be required to leave the library if their personal hygiene interferes with the ability of other patrons to use and /or enjoy the facility.
Voted on by the Westfield Athenaeum Board of Trustees, 1995 Produced by the Massachusetts Library Association, 1995