- HOW DO I?
- WESTFIELD HISTORY
1. All requests to reproduce images from the Westfield Athenaeum Collections must be submitted on the Application for Permission to Publish, available from the Westfield Athenaeum. The applicant agrees to abide by all terms, conditions, and provisions of this agreement.
2. Permission for reproduction of images is granted only for the express purpose described in the application. If the intended use of an image is for publication, permission is authorized for one time, non-exclusive use of that image. Any change in use from that stated on the application, or subsequent use of the work beyond that specified in this agreement requires Westfield Athenaeum’s written permission. Westfield Athenaeum will not sign any permission or licensing created by the requester.
3. Permission to reproduce images is valid only for the individual, company, or institution that signs the agreement and may not be transferred, assigned, sold or otherwise disposed of without written permission of the Westfield Athenaeum. Copies or prints of images from the Westfield Athenaeum’s collections may not be deposited or placed on file in any other repository. This includes electronic filing methods.
4. Westfield Athenaeum does not hold copyright over many of the images and illustrations in its collections. Responsibility for identifying and satisfying any claimants of copyright must be assumed by those wishing to reproduce the images.
5. Sale of a copy of a photograph, film footage, or illustration from Westfield Athenaeum collections does not involve sale of copyright. Reproduction and Use Fees are charged for the images, based on Westfield Athenaeum’s physical ownership of the images, and not on copyright.
6. A credit line must accompany images used in an illustration of any kind. It should read "Courtesy of the Westfield Athenaeum, Westfield, Massachusetts." It must be prominent and legible and it must appear in the caption or in close proximity to the image or in the list of credits for each image. Website (electronic) images must contain the credit line as part of the image and must be linked to the Westfield Athenaeum’s website. Failure to properly credit images from Westfield Athenaeum’s collections will result in a $200.00 fee per image every time the image is used or shown. Verification that proper use and credit of images has been made requires that a complimentary copy of the completed project or publication be sent to Westfield Athenaeum.
7. The staff will scan the best quality image that can be produced, however, that quality is dependent upon the condition of the original image. We do not edit or touch up images. Patrons are responsible for payment for images they request. We do not refund. Westfield Athenaeum reserves the right to refuse to reproduce images when it believes that reproduction might damage the original.
8. Prepayment of all fees, including use fees, is required before permission is granted for reproduction of images. Default in payment will immediately revoke permission.
9. Scanned images will be emailed or saved to a flashdrive provided by the applicant.