- HOW DO I?
- WESTFIELD HISTORY
Location: Reference & Information Services
Salary: starting at $13.00
37 hours per week
hours to include evenings and Saturday rotation
Reporting to the Head of Reference and working as part of the Reference and Information Services Department (RIS), the Library Assistant supports all the reference and informational functions within the adult library. Will also serve 10-15 hours in Circulation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Performs wide range of reference duties assisting patrons at adult Reference service desk and by telephone, fax, mail and email. Determine nature of request, level of patron understanding and needs by conducting a standard reference interview, as appropriate.
2. Provides technical and troubleshooting support for all aspects of public computer usage. Tasks to include administering PC Reservation-Time and Print Management System; assisting with multi-functional copy machine; sending electronic faxes, and scanning documents.
3. Assist patrons and staff in use of Overdrive and library e-book lending. Will also provide support for patron use of emerging technologies, tablets, smartphones, and other portable devices that connect to the Internet.
4. Assists in Adult Circulation Department between 10-15 hours per week. Performs basic range of circulation functions using Evergreen ILS.
5. Collaborates with the RIS Department in all aspects of collection development for well-balanced Reference and on-fiction print and non-print collections. Researches, selects and purchases library materials while maintaining a small budget.
6. Provide adult programming and marketing support including the use of Event Keeper; creating marketing fliers and promoting via social media and website.
7. Opens and closes reference desk when necessary.
8. Attend continuing education seminars, workshops and informational meetings when necessary.
9. Perform other duties as assigned.
1. High School Diploma or equivalent; or 1-3 years of library experience.
2. Excellent Customer Service skills.
3. Intermediate computer skills in Microsoft Office and Evergreen ILS.
4. Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both written and oral.
5. Excellent attention to detail.
6. Ability to work as part of a team AND independently.
7. Ability to help patrons of all ages, abilities and backgrounds with respect, discretion and patience.
1. Ability to manage details and multi-task in a fast-paced work environment.
2. Ability to bend and lift light loads to 25 pounds.
3. Previous library experience.
The Westfield Athenaeum, a non-profit corporation, is seeking a proven professional leader to fill the position of Athenaeum Director. We need a creative and energetic individual to direct all aspects of library operations to include administrative responsibility for staff of 29, budget and financial planning, programming, community relations, supervision of our extensive archival collection and historical museum, and management of the facility and building maintenance. Available immediately. This is a full time position with benefits.
MLS degree from accredited institution, supervisory/management experience including at least 3 years in public library administration and experience dealing effectively with labor management relations. Salary: $60,000-$72,000.